Teen Summer Intensive 2013 – five weeks: July 8 – August 11, 2012
This year’s JHDC Summer Intensive has been designed to promote deep professional and skill enhancement in an intimate environment. You will enjoy the intensive and targeted work as you complete the weekly sequences that are custom designed for each professional and student’s growth through the JHDC Individual Summer Intensive Plan.
This is a rigorous training that runs for 5 weeks and provides over 85 hours of instruction and support. The following are mandatory components that will contribute to your success outcomes and results:
• Intensive Placement – Sunday June 23, 2013 from 1-4 p.m., Studio B
• 12 hours per week (8 Classes) – 4 classes are 1.0 hours each, 3 classes are 1.5 hours, and 1 class is 2.0 hours
• Rehearsals weekly – Fridays from 4:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.
• 1 Master Class (2 hours) with world-renowned guest artists
• Dance lab – designated practice time in studio outside of structured class and rehearsal time
• Concert Performance – hosted in Studio
There are 30 slots available which book quickly.
Company Dancers – are currently in a company and are seeking a professional dance career track.
Advanced Dancers – have extensive experience, developed skills and are currently not in a company.
Intermediate Dancers – are beyond the formative phases of dance and are engaged in skill progression.
The teen intensive is run by Paula Grahmann-Ward and Heather Zimny
• Complete JHDC Summer Intensive Registration Form, the Intensive Commitment Form and the Waiver Form. Submit all forms with payment by June 23, 2013. Installment plans available.
Registration Form (PDF)
Commitment and Waiver (PDF)
• Provide payment (Cash, Check, Money Orders & Credit Card) via the link at Joelhall.org or call (773)293-0900 or pay in person at the JHD Center at 5965 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60660.
• Provide your bio with a photo attached. Indicate years of dance experience and types of classes.
• Provide minimally a 300 word essay on the topic: “What dance means to me and what outcomes I intend to achieve as a delegate of the 2013 Summer Intensive”.
• Provide a performance resume (if you have one)
Auditions for Adult and Teen Summer Intensive Placement
Here are two opportunities for applicants to audition for their placement (Professional, Advanced, or Intermediate) in the Summer Intensive program.
The main placement audition will be held:
Sunday, June 23rd from 1 – 4 PM at the Joel Hall Dancers & Center
A special early placement audition will be held:
April 13th – By Appointment**
Black College Dance Exchange
Chicago State University
**Email for Appointment by April 1st at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Intensive Schedule is designed to enhance your dance skills and professional development portfolio. Classes will be scheduled independently for demanding group work as well as within the larger studio class structure for thorough exposure:
• 2 Ballet Classes – can be either an Adult class or a Teen division class
• 2 Jazz Classes – can be either an Adult class or a Teen division class
• 1 Modern Class – Horton
• 1 Body Conditioning Class – Yoga for Dancers on Thursdays
• 1 Technique class taught by JHDC Faculty on Wednesdays (2-4 p.m.)
• Rehearsal (2 hours) – Fridays 4:30-7:00 p.m.
• 1 Master Class with a world-renowned guest artists (2 hours)
Register early and save!
• Full amount paid by May 2, 2013 – Fee $900
• Full amount paid by June 15, 2013 – Fee $1,000
• Late fee if slots available after June 15 through June 23rd (+ $125)
Company Auditions: Company auditions will be conducted on Sunday, August 11th. All Intensive participants will be encouraged to participate in this formal audition process as professional development as well as for consideration as a Joel Hall Dancers & Center Company Member which include:
• Joel Hall Dancers (JHD) 3 p.m.
• Joel Hall Dancers 2nd Company (JHD II) 1 p.m.
• Joel Hall Dancers Youth Company (JHDYC) 10 a.m.
It is strongly recommended that anyone interested in being a company member in the 2013-2014 Season participate in the summer intensive.
Why is JHDC’s Summer Intensive a great value?
- Dedicated intensive classes with other intensive students – 8 per week
- Skills Assessment – pre and post intensive
- 1 master classes taught by well-renowned teacher
- Lab time – dedicated studio time for practice – 2 hours
- Dedicated rehearsal time – 2 hours per week
- Exercise your mind as well as your body with challenging choreography!
- Connect with your fellow dancers!
- In studio recital
- Audition for JHD, JHD II, or JHDYC