Adult Summer Intensive 2013 – five weeks: July 8 – August 11, 2013
This year’s JHDC Summer Intensive has been designed to promote deep professional and skill enhancement in an intimate environment. You will enjoy the intensive and targeted work as you complete the weekly sequences that are custom designed for each professional and student’s growth through the JHDC Individual Summer Intensive Plan.
This is a rigorous training that runs for 5 weeks and provides 110+ hours of instruction and support. The following are mandatory components that will contribute to your success outcomes and results:
• Intensive Placement – Sunday June 23, 2013 from 1-4 p.m., Studio A
• 14 hours per week (10 Classes) – 4 classes are 1.5 hours each and 4 classes are 2 hours each
• 1 Rehearsal per week – Friday 8:30-10:00 p.m.
• 3 Master Classes (2 hours each) with world-renowned guest artists
• Dance lab – designated practice time in studio outside of structured class and rehearsal time
• Concert Performance – hosted in Studio
There are 30 slots available which book quickly.
• Professional / Instructor / Advanced – dancers with extensive experience and mastery of advanced skills. Including but not limited to dancers who are currently: Professional dance company members, seeking a professional dance career track, dance teachers who are currently delivering dance curriculum, collegiate dancers, advanced placement, former/non-professional level not in a company.
• Intermediate – dancers who are actively engaged in skill progression and have been dancing for an extended period of time.
The adult intensive is run by Joel Hall!
• Complete JHDC Summer Intensive Registration Form, the Intensive Commitment Form and the Waiver Form. Submit all forms with payment by June 23, 2013. Installment plans available.
Registration Form (PDF)
Commitment and Waiver (PDF)
• Provide payment (Cash, Check, Money Orders & Credit Card) – call (773)293-0900 or pay in person at the JHD Center at 5965 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60660.
• Provide your bio with a photo attached. Indicate years of dance experience and types of classes.
• Provide minimally a 300 word essay on the topic: “What dance means to me and what outcomes I intend to achieve as a delegate of the 2013 Summer Intensive”.
• Provide a performance resume (if you have one).
The Intensive Schedule is designed to enhance your dance skills and professional development portfolio. Classes will be scheduled independently for demanding group work as well as within the larger studio class structure for thorough exposure:
• 2 Ballet Classes
• 2 Jazz Classes
• 4 Technique classes (2 hours each) taught by JHDC Faculty 2:30-4:30 p.m.
o Monday – Jazz
o Tuesday – Ballet
o Thursday – Modern (Horton-based)
o Friday – Modern (Graham-based)
• 1 Rehearsal (2 hours) Fridays 8:30-10 p.m.
• 3 Master Classes with world-renowned guest artists (2 hours each)
Auditions for Adult and Teen Summer Intensive Placement
There will be two opportunities for applicants to audition for their placement (Professional/Advanced, or Intermediate) in the Summer Intensive program.
The main placement audition will be held:
Sunday, June 23rd from 1 – 4 PM at the Joel Hall Dancers & Center
Register early and save!
• Full amount paid by May 2, 2013 – Fee $1,450
• Full amount paid by June 15, 2013 – Fee $1,600
• Late fee if slots available after June 15 through June 23rd (+ $125)
Company Auditions: Company auditions will be conducted on Sunday, August 11th. All Intensive participants will be encouraged to participate in this formal audition process as professional development as well as for consideration as a Joel Hall Dancers & Center Company Member which include:
• Joel Hall Dancers (JHD) 3 p.m.
• Joel Hall Dancers 2nd Company (JHD II) 1 p.m.
• Joel Hall Dancers Youth Company (JHDYC) 10 a.m.
It is strongly recommended that anyone interested in being a company member in the 2013-2014 Season participate in the summer intensive.
Why is JHDC’s Summer Intensive a great value?
- Dedicated intensive classes with other intensive students – 10 per week
- Skills Assessment – pre and post intensive
- 3 master classes taught by well-renowned teachers
- Lab time – dedicated studio time for practice – 2 hours
- Dedicated rehearsal time – 2 hours per week
- Exercise your mind as well as your body with challenging choreography!
- Connect with your fellow dancers!
- In studio recital
- Audition for JHD, JHD II, or JHDYC